Today, Monday 10 June, is officially, the one hundredth birthday of BotSoc (The Botanical Society of South Africa). The June issue of Veld & Flora is a special commemorative issue to mark the occasion. Articles on the history of the BotSoc, its conservation achievements and its 100-year partnership with Kirstenbosch as well as short histories of each of the 16 BotSoc branches around the country form the body of this issue, with other articles pertaining to Kirstenbosch and the BotSoc.
You can wish the BotSoc a happy birthday on Facebook.
- The Botanical Society of South Africa: Highlights of the Century by John Rourke
- Looking back, looking forward: A hundred years of conserving our flora by John Yeld
- A voice for the Botanical Society: A brief history of Veld & Flora by Caroline Voget
- North and South: Botanical politics and Kirstenbosch by Jane Carruthers
- The Workers of Kirstenbosch: A tribute by Farieda Kahn
- Winning hearts and minds by Peter Slingsby
- SANBI and BotSoc: Strategic partners for 100 years by Christopher Willis
- Tea at Kirstenbosch: The history of the much-loved Tea House by Alice Notten
- Strelitzia juncea: Centenary Gold by Phakamani M'Afrika Xaba
- Jack Marais: Pioneer of alien plant eradication by Penny Mustart
- The BotSoc Branches: Kirstenbosch Free State Winelands KZN Inland Lowveld Bankenveld Kogelberg Southern Overberg Pretoria KZN Coastal Garden Route Albany Algoa Limpopo Cederberg West Coast.